"Doing Things Differently" (2015)
“Doing Things Differently” is the first Toontown Rewritten advertisement ever produced, which was aired for the first time at ToonFest at OMG!Con 2015. I wrote the script, recorded footage, and performed editing for this video.
We aimed to achieve the following goals with this gameplay ad:
- Appeal to both new and old players by showcasing Toontown’s core gameplay, while also putting in content that was brand new to Toontown Rewritten.
- Create a modernized version of Toontown’s 2003 launch advertisement to stay true to the original game, as well as invoke nostalgia for long-time players.
- Tease unreleased content to provide a sense of excitement and mystery for players who watched the debut at ToonFest.
The ad features voice acting from Jonathan Leiter (“FilmmakerJ”), who paid tribute to Disney cartoons with an impression of Corey Burton, the most recent narrator of Goofy’s “How To” series of shorts. This voice was so beloved by fans that it has been used for all narration in other Toontown Rewritten videos.
"It's Different In Our Town" (2016)
“It’s Different In Our Town” continues a series of Toontown Advertisements that originally ran on Disney Channel. The general plot of each video consists of a person applying Toontown mechanics to the real world, such as jumping into a portable hole, or in this case, having a fishing rod delivered to your mailbox.
One of the unique things about this advertisement is the level of detail that was put into hiding easter eggs for fans:
- Keen-eyed viewers will see a “Gyro Engineering” sign on the side of the mailbox, a reference to Gyro Gearloose.
- Two sets of wind chimes can be heard during the live action portion, which play brief a brief excerpt of the Toontown Central Street music, and the Toontown Theme song.
I wrote, directed, and edited this advertisement, which debuted at ToonFest at OMG!Con 2016. Narration comes from the fabulous Jonathan Leiter (“FilmmakerJ”).